Have you ever imagined staying at a hospital in a foreign country? Well, I have experienced it. Fortunately, I was able to go home after more than a month of stay.

So what exactly happened?

I was a temporary visitor in Japan. It was my first time to go out of my country. It’s my first time to use my Japanese language skills with Japanese people. (My Japanese language skill is not enough and it’s been a while since I studied it. ) Anyway, there I visited some shrines, a museum and a mountain for the first few days. Then, I started having hallucinations. I was about to go home earlier than what I expected. However, because of my circumstance, I was brought to a hospital. I can’t remember anything about my first two days at the hospital.

I woke up on May 7 in a room near the nurses’ station.  I think it’s like an ICU or something like the bed nearest to the nurses. During that time, I was still having hallucination and voices. Medicines were given to me. I became more stable everyday so I gained my freedom. ( I am telling about freedom because during first few weeks I was restrained by a belt and handcuffs at night and there were times even daytime). Imagine a somehow normal person being restrained. In my case, it was scary and very uncomfortable during that time. However, thinking about it now seems like it was just all a dream. I am happy that I survived those times.

After some time, the voices and hallucinations disappeared but I became so restless. My mind couldn’t stop thinking. I wan to be busy doing something.

So what kept me busy? (gadgets and Internet are not allowed there)

Talking to nurses and teaching English expressions(only when they attend to me)

Talking and playing cards with other patients
Singing with other patients (Ue Wo Muite Arukou, Nada Sou Sou,Sakura, Kotoba ni Dekinai, Mirai E)

Teaching the song “A, you’re adorable ” with some action to one of the patients

Playing the piano ( I can only play Canon in C and one of my original compositions)

Cleaning the railings and stamping documents at the nurses station
(I was so desperate to do any work so I will not be bored)

Studying Japanese

Reading Children’s Books

Drawing characters

Coloring Disney coloring book

Writing letters in English to the Doctor about things I noticed in the hospital and my condition

Making a short list of expressions (English – Japanese) Part 1 Part 2 

And (I almost forgot) the most important thing I did there is praying. I was praying for peace of mind. I was praying that I could go home.

I feel so grateful to all the people whom I’ve met there. Nurses, doctors and fellow patients and my visitor every weekend.

To my fellow patients, I am thankful for your kindness and for being approachable. I also kept your gifts to me. I am also happy that I managed to make a paper basket with the help of another patient.

I also want to thank the people who make our delicious and very nutritious meals. I just feel bad that some of the meals are left unfinished sometimes.

To my friends who worried about me because I couldn’t contact them, I am sorry. Thanks so much for your concern. (Unfortunately, I accidentally reformatted my phone and before I left,  I set up my account such that I cannot access Facebook or my google account if I don’t receive the verification code on my phone. And there was no signal most of the time. Moreover, gadgets aren’t allowed there)

Going back, now  I realized that I am very blessed with my freedom here and the love of my family and friends.

I am okay now.

Image by Shad0wfall from Pixabay